Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Sitka and Spruce: The Brunch Experience from my Favorite Seattle Restaurant; A Unique Seattle Brunch Experience Indeed

If you haven't realized by now or just flat out don't know, Seattle is one of the best cities for Brunch. I'm not sure why it became to be but I can tell you why it's good. There are so many unique styles and takes on brunch dishes in Seattle whether it be completely original such as the Dutch Baby, out-of-nowhere inventive like the brunch of this post, or it could be a unique Seattle (specifically seafood) take on classics such as a Smoked Salmon or even a Dungeness Crab Eggs Benedict. I've been wanting to try some real uniquely Seattle brunch dishes for quite some time, and classic ones I might add in order to have authentic and traditional brunch experience in Seattle. However because I only had one weekend morning which was on a Sunday, I could only have one brunch meal. In addition, I had planned plenty of restaurants for my tiny 3-day trip, and I had to make room in order to have a meal at my most favorite restaurant in Seattle which is Sitka & Spruce. If you haven't read my previous posts, why S&S is my favorite is because the restaurant offers such a unique cooking style along with the equally unique fresh farm-to-table local ingredients that no other restaurant in any other city could offer; S&S is a true Seattle restaurant. With all of those factors mentioned, I had decided to give S&S my one and only brunch spot.

Walking inside, it's certainly lovely with its rustic charm and exposed brick. After walking in with no one in line luckily but at the same time wondering why there wasn't enough people at brunch, I sat at the table where I sat all of my previous times at, which is a very difficult feat if you're an out of towner.

 
 

Going over the menu, which I do apologize for not taking a pic of, I ordered a sparkling rosé to quench my rosé cravings while I have a drink to accomplish the task of choosing the only item I could order for my one and only brunch in Seattle. Before I continue further, I must voice of how backwards it is for Sitka & Spruce to have a no-hard-alcohol policy for brunch, especially as I remembered previously how they had it available during lunch when Seattleites have to head back to work. They should reverse the policy as not only is a brunch a relatively special occasion, but how hard alcohol is certainly a welcome when the mimosa has far been way too long in its seat as "designated brunch drink"; of course, a Bloody Mary made with vodka is a great example of brunch utilizing hard alcohol.











Though their bread does usually come at a charge, I'm under the impression they do give some of it complementary. Usually bread is just an afterthought. However, their bread is from the Columbia City Bakery (I'm pretty sure) is certainly phenominal, especially with that unique white crust formed on the bottom of a baguette that only an authentic and truly artisan bread can make. Certainly, the whipped butter was an amazing complement to the extremely delicious baguette.







I ordered their Salmon 'Nduja with Pears, Dills and their seeds on top of a cracker. Although this looked extremely wonderful and delicious, I had to actually ask the waiter for instructions on how to eat the large cracker. He'd recommend that it be broken/cracked into smaller, bite-sized pieces with a knife. The 'nduja itself was loaded with fresh salmon flavor that the Pacific NW is known for, albeit a tad bit too spicy. Certainly the refreshingness of the pears and their sweetness not only complemented the main flavors but even quelled the spiciness as well. The Dill and seeds added an herbal element needed to completely tie the dish in together. Overall, this was a wonderful dish to have at brunch at S&S despite its difficulty in eating the whole thing; certainly would recommend it to those considering brunch at the restaurant.

 



After I've received my main dish and to make up for their deficiency in hard-alcohol, I've actually ordered quite a few drinks (and not all at once, mind you). First was a brut cavat which was just as dry and even a tad bit fruity compared to a brut French Champagne as cavat is Spanish. Next was their Black Currant cocktail. This was very delicious and definitely resembled a White Wine Spritzer
while the refreshing black currants added a sweet yet subtly tangy touch that makes the fruit itself delicious to drink if you're able to taste it yourself. My final cocktail was the Breakfast Daiquiri as it was based with some sort of wine that I forgot, again due to the restaurant not having hard alcohol available. It ws very good nonetheless with the right touch of coffee flavor without being too bitter. Even with the lack of hard alcohol, I'd certainly recommend giving these a try despite I feel management should read this blog post in order to  change their policies.

Brunch at S&S was very delicious and amazing as it's certainly a change from the stereotypical Seattle brunch experience of Dungeness Crab Eggs Benedict, Lox, and Dutch Babies. If you're a Seattleite, I'd highly recommend coming here and pay a visit to have brunch you rarely encounter. However, if you're an out of towner looking for the traditional Seattle brunch experience, I'd actually hold having brunch here for a bit until you know you could have brunch in Seattle at later times.



No comments:

Post a Comment